Monday, March 10, 2008

Major Messies

Some days I feel like I may just get swallowed up by the mess that has become my house. Every room in the house has exploded with mess! Seriously, it's so bad right now that I literally can't concentrate. I try not to look around too much, because it's overwhelming. I spent quite a while cleaning the basement yesterday, yet today, it doesn't look like I put much of a dent in it. I'm pretty sure that my children turn into Tasmanian devils when I'm not looking, and they just whirl themselves around the house leaving a path of destruction. And I know that we have not just one, but at least 4 entities in the house called "Not Me". A "Not Me" is such a strange phenomenon to say the least...seems I can never catch it in the act....I only see the aftermath. Weird, huh?

I had a lengthy conversation with the assistant to the doctor that will be doing Eli's surgery this morning. He filled me in on the procedure itself, the risks, the aftercare...all of that typical stuff. I have to go into the office tomorrow to fill out paperwork and sign surgical releases--makes me nervous--I feel like I'm signing Eli's life away! Up until today, I wasn't too nervous or worried about the surgery, but I didn't really know what to expect either. Now that I know what's going to happen, I am a nervous wreck! I was told that Eli will need at least a week off of school and to expect him not to feel very well afterwards. He can't shower (this will please him!) or even blow his nose for several days after surgery. He may be dizzy for 24 hours to 2 weeks after. Sheesh...the poor kid doesn't know what he's getting himself into. When I asked the question as to when we might know if Eli's hearing has improved, I was told that it would take 3-6 weeks to know for sure, as his ear will be packed (on both sides of his eardrum) with surgical stuff and they won't know until all of that is absorbed or is removed. Oh boy....my heart sure is heavy knowing all of this. That being said, I was told that the risks of any negative outcome are very low and that all should go well. Somehow, that doesn't make me feel any better :(

On the bright side, Josh gets to skip tutoring tonight as his tutor is out sick, so at least we don't have to rush around like maniacs getting him there on time...and I can make a more elaborate dinner than frozen ravioli. And then there's the fact I don't have to listen to Josh complain about not wanting to sit in the library and read for a whole hour :)

Signing off to wake up Sam from his nap to go and get the kids from school...

No comments: