Sunday, April 13, 2008

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Alright, so it wasn't exactly fun , but I ended up working until almost 3am this morning. I was supposed to be off at 11:30pm, but someone called off for the night shift, so I was asked to stay because of the high number of patients on acute care. It seems like everybody's infusa-ports were all going off at once--I was ping-ponging from room to room the whole night. And one annoying thing about night shift is having to do rounds every 15 minutes--but, I guess since it is a hospice unit, I may as well chalk it up as some good exercise. Staying half way through the night may not have been good for my beauty sleep, but it will be good for my checking account. Time and a half pay is nice! I was feeling a little bit dopey by midnight since I had been there 9 hours already, and I was really dragging, but I made it through. I did get to sit for a while to feed the baby that was on the unit. It was such a joy and a heartbreak to hold him...knowing that he is so sick. It did my heart good though, to care for him. I almost forgot, for a moment, that he is dying--he is the picture of perfection on the outside, but sadly, not on the inside.

Anyway, it's Sunday again, and the mood around the house shows. I can't remember the last time we had a Sunday that wasn't bad. I don't know what it is about this day, but it's sad that I can't/don't look forward to it. Hubby and I are really struggling to get along again, and it's hard to deal with that on top of everything else. All the stress just makes this girl want to give up sometimes.

Thankfully, we'll be back to the school week routine tomorrow. It always helps for the kids to get a break from each other and even from us. That's sad, but it's true.

I've got to cut this short and get ready to leave...hi-ho-hi-ho-it's-off-to-work-I go!

No comments: