Sunday, April 6, 2008

Freedom

The uniforms are washed. The lunches are packed. The backpacks are filled. The kids go back go school tomorrow! I don't know how well we survived this two week Spring Break, but at least we survived.

I worked both days this weekend after all. I was assigned to an inpatient hospice facility and I really enjoyed working there. That may very well sound weird and kinda creepy, but really, it's not. True, death and sickness were hanging in the air, but the fact that I was able to give of myself and my talents to care for the patients and their families was remarkable to me. It was hard to see so many in pain and suffering, but caring for them with dignity and respect made my job so worth it. One little lady, very ill, and so close to death, reached out to grab my hand. She looked into my eyes and said to me " I just love you so much, thank you for helping me"...granted, she was confused and very compromised, but I took that and just ate it up. I was saddened to learn this morning that two of the patients I cared for yesterday died shortly after I left. I had given both of them their very last baths and I prayed blessings over them, as I could tell that their time here was not going to be long. One of them had eyes that looked fogged over and she was only taking 4 breaths a minute. And the other had terminal secretions (don't ask) and because of complications of diabetes, her toes had turned black and brittle. (brittle as in they would break off if touched)

Anyway, moving onto things not so crummy and gross...

Hubby was told by the owners of the restaurant the he manages that they want to talk to him this week about "getting him a raise"! I'm not sure just what that will mean, but at this point, anything will help us. I am anxious for that meeting to take place, but I also know that it won't be a fix-all for sure. I seriously doubt they are going to give him a $12,00 raise, so I'll still be singing hi-ho-hi-ho it's off to work I go for some time to come.

I hate to report that our potty training adventure has come to a screeching halt. Sam will not, no matter how much I cajole or bribe him, sit on the potty again. I bought him some brand-spanking new Thomas The Tank Engine underwear that he loved for about a minute and a half...I was so looking forward to having him out of diapers. Ah well. I knew my luck had to run out soon. Besides, he's still very young, and none of his brothers were fully trained until after 3 years old. I am determined to beat that with him though! I'm hoping that once Sam gets over his nasty croupy cough and snotty nose, he'll once again be up for the challenge.

Well, I think I'll sign off and get to bed. My legs feel like they are 90 years old after all of the walking/near running I did at work this weekend. Maybe I'll actually have built some muscle under my fluff, but I'm sure the Starbucks frappuccino and coffee cake I had today will totally zero out any benefit I may have reaped from all of that walking. Tomorrow's a new day, right?

No comments: