Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Just A Bunch Of Mumbo Jumbo

Here we are on the eve of Valentine's Day and the sugar rush has already begun in ernest. Gracie's preschool class had a party today complete with Valentine mailboxes. She came home loaded up with gummy snacks, candy hearts, chocolate kisses and more. Amazing how her brothers are being so nice to her--they are clamoring around her pleading for one last piece. Even more amazing is that she is actually sharing with them, and she seems to enjoy it--the attention that is. Tomorrow will usher in more parties, junk food and boxes of Valentines. Oh, to be a kid again...

While I stood around at school today chatting with the other moms, I lost focus on the converation I was having when I heard bits and pieces of the other conversations going on around me...what I heard made me want to spray the kids down with disinfectant, slather their hands and tongues with sanitizer and keep them in an airtight bubble until the end of Spring. It seems that the imfamous stomach-flu is making it's rounds again at school--along with just the 'regular old flu' and strep throat. Somehow we avoided that blasted virulent gastrointestinal twister the last time around, so I am feeling particularly vulnerable this time. Our luck has to run out sometime, right? *crossing fingers and toes and loading the kids up with vitamins and acidophilus*

Today I was feeling quite annoyed with my husband. He didn't have to go into work until 3:00 today, but beginning at 7:00 this morning, he was holed up in the basement crunching numbers for his reports. I was annoyed at having 'my' plans for the day dashed by his having to work from home. Since he works 12-15 hour days most days, I hate that he has to put in off the clock hours at home as well. Yes, I know it's his job and all, but I was annoyed all the same. When I get annoyed, I clean and I bake. And sometimes I slam things around--you know, like the dishes while unloading the dishwasher, the cupboard doors, my feet on the hardwood floors. So, at least the house is clean and there are 2 freshly baked loaves of whole wheat bread sitting on the counter. And now that he is off at his real job, I can be annoyed that he's not here to help me contain the chaos, help with homework, cook dinner, clean up after dinner,pack tomorrows lunches, give baths and get kids to bed.

I think I need a serious change of attitude. This is what being a mom means, right?

Signing off to put my priorities in order and shift my thinking to something more positive...

No comments: