Saturday, November 17, 2007

No More Monkeys Jumping On The Bed

Last night I saw a life flash before my eyes. It wasn't my life though. I did think however, that my life, and the life of my family had changed in an instant. Yes, I know, it sounds very dramatic, but in the moment, I was terrified and my mind was muddled with the what-ifs. I'll admit, I was fearful. Very fearful. The only thing I could do was cry out "Oh God, oh"! I had no magical prayers.

My precious, albeit rambunctious little guy took a rough tumble off of my bed and landed straight on top of his head. I know, it doesn't sound like much, but my bed has been coined the 'Mothership' because from the top of the bed to the floor, it's a 4 ft drop. I can still see the event unfold in my head....I was laying on the bed reading a book and Sam had been climbing up and then sliding off feet first. He kept saying "Look Mama" and then he'd giggle with glee. He said "Look Mama" one more time. I looked. He looked at me, smiled, then dropped to his knees and propelled himself off the bed in somewhat of a somersault. I jumped up to see him laying on the floor. He wasn't moving. I scooped him up into my trembling arms and then watched in horror as his baby blues rolled back into his head, his face first greyed and then the color drained from his cheeks and lips, and he went limp in my arms. I quickly laid him on my bed and tried to wake him up. His eyes fluttered open and closed, he moaned in a tone I had not ever heard before. I pleaded with him to wake up and look at me. He would not. I panicked full on and dialed 911.

I tearfully explained my emergency and location to the 911 operator and then Sam woke up screaming as loudly as he could. That was music to my ears! The 911 operator began her line of questioning as to what happened and was he breathing, and instructing me to tell her immediately if he lost consciousness again or stopped breathing.< and I am thinking Oh my God, IS he going to stop breathing, why is she saying that?? > She kept telling me not to move him. At this point, I was already holding him down in the living room waiting for the paramedics to arrive. When I told her I was holding him, she instructed me to hold him very still and not to move his neck.

So anyway, long story short, he was transported to the hospital to be checked out. He was pretty alert in the ambulance...I think he hated all of the poking and prodding and being strapped down against his very stubborn will. By the time we arrived at the hospital, he was drowsy and fell into a deep sleep. Snoring and all :) He was given a CT scan of his head, was monitored, and sent home with a diagnosis of a concussion. Whew.....I could now breathe. And praise God with that breath that things were not worse.

He's a bit spacey and wobbly today, but he is happy and has a sparkle in his eyes. (and his Mama's eyes are glued to him!)

Praise Him for his mighty deeds; Praise Him
according to His surpassing greatness!
Psalm 150:2